Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Out of the Shop



I had planned on using beer and thirsty friends to get the boat out of the shop and onto a trailer, but then a I reconsidered the logistics of getting six friends here at the same time with late fall weather cooperating, and devised a new plan on the first warm day. As when I previously turned the hull over, I suspended ratcheting tie-down straps from the ceiling beams and lifted the boat up off its building cradle. Then I moved a small cart under the center of the hull and lowered the boat onto the padded cart. I backed the 8 wide trailer up to the 6 wide shop door; pushed the hull out the door, rolling on its cart, until about 8 of the hull was out the door and on the trailer; then simply finished winching the hull onto the trailer.

Crowley Marine was ready to install the engine, steering gear, engine controls, and wiring, and they recommended a canvas shop for the travel cover and bimini. So, in a short period of time, the boat is now basically ready for the water. Of course, there are always more finishing projects. I need to (1) reinforce the deck underside where the bimini fittings are fastened; (2) place flotation foam in the bow and stern; (3) touch up the cetol finish in spots along the sheer where it was disturbed when the sheer strip was placed. After pricing simple custom upholstery for the plywood-framed cockpit seats, I found that I could purchase quality standard bucket seats for less than half the price. I should get the seats in the next two weeks.

But with winters snow in our yard and the ski slopes beckoning, that will all wait until warmer weather.

Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment